It was exhausting, though. By 11 p.m. the last of our friends were lingering and I was falling asleep. Last night I climbed into bed around 11:15, and we left the mess for today, and I slept until 6 a.m. I never get that much sleep!
Today we went to breakfast at Farmer Girl and we were going to Amelia's, but I pointed out that we still have to plant the hibicus we got last week, and we needed to clean up. So we returned home, and he planted and I cleaned the kitchen. We watered the garden as well, the flowers are blooming and it's looking good. The rain we've had has truly helped. The basket of lantana is blooming and the butterflies love it.
I feel like I'm getting back my butterfly garden after teh hurricane. Even the strawberry guava tree that got pushed over from Irma and is now propped up seems more sturdy.
Thursday I got a lot of writing done - 4,000 words. Then Friday was the cleaning lady and a friend came over to fix my computer. Very little done - esp. since I had to really clean up before the cleaning lady. Just stuff like putting away 2 cases of water, and 4 cases of dog food ordered before the hurricane, just in case, took time. But the house really needed cleaning.
It's been a crazy three weeks since the hurricane and Cookie being sick and Holly having major diarrhea, so I'm so far behind on my projects. I keep wondering what it would feel like to have nothing to do other than work PT at the day job. PPL don't realize how time consuming it is to write and promote. even a good friend who asked me about volunteering to read, and I had wanted to do it, doesn't understand how long it takes to write a book, let alone promote it.
Today I'm reviewing MF and then formatting, as I have to get it into the hands of the ARC team and have it uploaded to Amazon by Wed. for preorder final status.
I also looked at my book income. ha ha.
This summer I decided to experiment with two different genres under two different pen names. The first was launched in a big boxed set with several other authors. It was "clean and wholesome." That boxed set made USA Today. I released the followup story this month.
I've made exactly $14 on all platforms with the follow up story. It was priced at 99 cents and it was a novella. The only advertising was a newsletter to the new subscribers for that name. I did this on purpose - to see if the boxed set readers would want to read the second story and they would be hooked on the first one. Big failure.
The second one was even more obscure. It was part of a PNR erotic serial released solely to KU. I wanted to see if releasing something new on KU, under another name, would garner any income.
That one tanked as well.
So my great experiment, in a summer filled with sales slumps for my backlist, has failed. I don't regret it because it was an experiment. And this is the good thing about indie publishing - I can pull the plug and let these pen names die a dignified death without worrying about fulfilling more books for a traditional NY publishing contract.