Saturday, October 20, 2007

A break

sniff, sniff. Dh made me all weepy. He just bought me a very sweet anniversary gift.



We're leaving Tenneseee right now. Wow, I love love love it up here. I want to move. The people are sooooo sweet and friendly, and the scenery is gorgeous. We drove into North Carolina. I like N.C. but TN, that's where I want to go.



Maybe. Some Day.



Two glasses of Pinot Noir before a flight really help to destress. I dread returning. Rainey has cancer and I know we'll have to put her down soon. Work is crazy. Being in the mountains, and nothing but peace, quiet and relaxation.... I'm shocked at how productive I was. I decided to throw caution to the wind, and go with my gut. I started a new story, one I haven't sold yet and may never, and I wrote 14,000 words. It's gripping, emotional and I love it. I wrote for ME, not my editor(s), agent, or readers. Just for moi. It was wonderful. And I really really love these characters. There's such depth to this story.



When I get home, I'll get back on deadline, back to the day job, back to reality and a dog that is dying. But this week, we relaxed. We needed this. I researched areas that are going into this book, long hikes up to see waterfalls, quiet inns, colorful fall leaves. And I have the guts of a story that I can't let go of. Maybe I'll have to... because I can't sell it, but for this week, it was just what I needed.



In the meantime, DH and I went to a gorge in NC yesterday. We walked along the train tracks and this was our conversation:



Me: "Wow, this is so pretty, so quiet, I wonder if they ever use these tracks anymore?"

DH: "Yeah, they do. Look at the wear on them. They use them a lot."

Me: "Sure, right."

Nearby: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Me: "Oh &*#&@#"

DH: "I told you the train uses these tracks. Maybe you should get off them now before you get run over..."

No comments: